Before beginning work, I went down to Porstmouth to see how the hubs are getting along - may be ready on Tuesday. I also got some primer and paint - I'll start painting it shortly.
When I got back, I started work on the side pods, finishing them off. I put some more Sikaflex on the panels.
And also put some GRP to strengthen it.
While that was setting off, I fitted one of the Aero catches - this was to see if my plan for the catch would work.
I drilled a 20mm hole through the side pod lip section and intake.
The idea is to put a plate between the intake and lip, which will hold the catch pin, which will be held in place with Sikaflex. In the intake, a blanking grommit will hide the nut, and also reduce any air disruption.
With the pin in place.
This can now hold the rear section in place.
It's not quite in the right place, so I'll drill the hole to 30mm, and hold the rear section with cable ties while Sikaflex sets, fixing the pin in the right place.
I then mixed a load of body filler, and filled the intake area - I'll sand it down later on.
With the body filler going off, I started work on the other intake - this will provide air to the air intake filter, so needs to duct air upwards.
Firstly, I extended the bottom section, and put a rear section in place. The bottom section has a couple of strips Sikaflexed in place.
And then I put an inside panel.
It was now time to finish off ths filler cap. Earlier I'd stuck some M8 bolts to the underside of the filler cap section. I then drilled the holding bracket with M10 holes (so it can be moved a bit).
With the bracket bolted in place, and the filler cap unit fitted in it:
Too low, and off to one side. Time to put some more washers under the bolts.
Still a little low - I can't adjust the amount it's off to one side without elongating the holes in the body section, so I'll leave that until later.
I replaced the washers at the front for nuts, and the rear for springs.
...however, this is how much it's pulling the rear section over.
Now the filler cap is in its correct position, I fitted some cable tie holders which will hold the hose in place.
I then drilled some holes to take the fuel pipes from the tank.
I should've drilled them before putting the engine in! However, removing the extension I'd made earlier made it easier to drill. I also drilled a hole for the tank electrics, and fitted grommits.
One thing that John told me to do was to cut the corners off the front of the side pods, so the wheels can turn. I'm not sure how much I need to do, so I did 5" from the front.
Tomorrow, I'll do some body filler work on the other side pod.