I'd made a start with the electrics yesterday; today was spent continuing with it (it'll probably be a few days to complete it).
I've decided to put all the fuses in the engine bay - it'll be easier to get to than underneath the dashboard.
As a result, I placed a distribution unit, and two 8-way fuse boxes on the rear bulkhead.
All the bolts are stainless buttonhead bolts - the heads are in the passenger compartment, so there shouldn't be any problem with the SVA and sharp edges.
I'll also be using 4 relays that are controlled by the ignition to provide power when the ignition is on.
While fitting the main battery terminal, I had a problem where there wasn't quite enough strand bulk for the screws to hold it in place, so I used a thin strip of aluminium to squeeze everything together, making a much better fit.
I then fitted this to the startermotor, and also from the starter to the battery switch I fitted earlier.
Next, I fitted a strap from the engine to the negative terminal.
I gave the engine a very very short turnover to make sure that the starter works. I got the first taste of how it'll sound - very deep.
My 3mm spade terminals arrived, so I was able to wire the lights.
I also needed to splice in a join in the middle of the cable for the number plate light. To do this, I stripped the middle down, and then stripped the nuber 3 wire (which is the rear position lamp lead).
And then soldered a T-piece to it.
With that done, I wired the other side.
I also needed an earth strap from the chassis to the rear steel section. As it happened, I had some battery cable from my Karma since it ran the length of the car.
And since the chassis itself hadn't been earthed, I added an earthing point on the bottom chassis rail.
And now that everything was earthed, I was able to earth all the rear lamps.
And it was now back to the main wiring. I used two multcore wires to give enough current for the distribution block - each core can take 16A, so each section in the block would be 64A at least (it's rated to 60A).
I then earthed the fuel pump and the relays using the old brake T-piece mounting point.
Next, I started wiring the fuse boxes - the right hand fuse box is for permanent 12V power lines, and the left hand one will be for ignition fuses.
The far right hand 4 fuses are for the relays above.
The final job was to wire the relay inputs and outputs. The ignition wire itself I'll take through tomorrow.
Although the first thing I'm doing tomorrow is going to the Aeon workshop to hopefully pick up all the remaining bits for the SVA. If there's something missing, I won't be able to finish the car in time for the SVA, so I'll have a day off - including my day job, I've been working continually for the past two months.