As I'd mentioned in day 36, I needed to adjust the positions of the rear brace. The plan was to move the join with the roll cage to the junction of the horizontal tube and vertical section. Measuring the distance as 7 inches from the base, I drilled a hole from the back.
Since the brace was moving down, it would require either shortening, or the other end needed moving backwards. I opted for the latter, so removed the rear mounting plates.
After a bit of thought as to the best way to weld with the body in place, I decided to use some 50mm tube I had, and weld the inside of this - this would protect the body work, while allowing a reasonably strong weld.
I then used some new plates and welded these into place (putting the other end of the brace roughly in the new position).
With one end in place, I then welded the rear plates.
And then the other side was done - very quickly as I'd had practice on the other side!
Using a bar, I put the rear body on the car.
It's now looking like a real car now - you can see the shape it'll be. However, the hinges don't quite reach the join between the two GRP sections which is where it is meant to go (the top of the ruler is roughly where the hinge should reach).
After talking to John, not only am I the first with this body style, I'm also the first with this hinge. Unfortunately I'll have to work with this.
So, I bolted a bar to the bottom section of the GRP that was the same width as the hinges (the bolts will be replaced with stainless button head bolts).
There's a bit of a gap between the rear section and the middle - this is because the GRP flexes a bit. I'll but some strengthening braces in place when I've fitted the catches.
Tomorrow, I'll be aiming to get the right hand door finished, and also fit the side pods.